Tuesday 29 July 2014

Jenson Button Triathlon 2014

On the 12th of July I was off to Luton to take part in the Jenson Button Trust Triathlon thanks to Huub design for the race entry. This event was raising money for Cancer research. Before the race I had a quick look at the start list and to my surprise there was a very high standard of senior athletes; Emma pallet, Katie Hewison, Hannah Drewett, Sophie Coldwell and many more. The competition was split into two heats at a shorter distance and a sprint distance final of 50 competitors. Both races were non drafting on the bike, always good to try something different.

I was in the second heat which began with a 300m swim and I left the water in 3rd place behind Sophie Coldwell whom is a Huubster as well. My transition was clean and tidy probably my best this year, which could be down to not being quite as nervous. I could tell that the elite athletes were taking the heats steady so I decided to race at tempo pace just to make sure I did make the final. With a smooth bike and transition again I was on the run. I tried to control my pace for the 2.5 km run which did seem a bit longer and for the last 300m I had Sophie Coldwell for company.



After the first race I was happy finishing 3rd in my heat and I had a few positives to take away. The final was going to be a tough race especially with prize money for the top finishers. I had about two hours to recover before the next race which meant food and having fun watching the other races. By noon it was very hot but lucky for me there was not a wetsuit ban. Time for the next race!


The countdown felt short and we were straight off, I had a good start for the first 10m and then it all got a bit rough. I came out of the water in about 13th with the feeling of being through a washing machine cycle and definitely not the delicate wash. With a slow transition for me as I couldn't get my helmet on I was off onto the bike. The bike was tough especially being a non drafting event; you are working hard for 20km on your own. The run was two flat grass laps, nothing too difficult and at this point in the race all positions in front of me were all running individually. At the end I finished 12th, great experience and well organised event for a great charity.

Thanks for reading Megan McDonald












No comments:

Post a Comment