Saturday 11 August 2018

Castle Howard Triathlon

At the beginning of every season, I sit down with my coach and plan a race diary. Some of the races are local, some team races and some international. I recently had to change my schedule which left me with no race for four weeks, so I decided to race Castle Howard, an Olympic Non-Drafting triathlon; the race was in 4 days’ time so no tapering. I could see from the start list there was a talented field of athletes. Normally for this type of non-drafting race, you would use a TT bike, but I was happy to have a go on my Liv Langma Advanced Pro 0 .

The race took place in the stunning castle grounds: 1500m lake swim, 45km hilly bike followed by a 10km hilly off-road run. This series is definitely worth taking a look out.

I had a strong swim with a time of 18:57; I was 4th going onto the bike. I attacked the bike leg and managed to finish in 5th. I know I was at a disadvantage not racing with a TT bike, but I still produced a good time on my Liv Langma. The run was a 10.5km rolling off-road course; I took each kilometre trying to hold my position but was overtaken by another athlete on the last half kilometre - I didn’t have anything left. I was very appreciative of the water stations as it was a very hot and humid day. Overall, I was glad I raced. It gave me the opportunity to try a different distance, experiment with drinks and gels, and most importantly gives me plenty to work on.

My next race is the team relays in London

No comments:

Post a Comment